Long-distance cycling was never a dream. In fact, there was never even the germ of a thought about getting on a bicycle to cross the continent. Death - my husband's - put these wheels in motion. Ten years after Holly and I cycled from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we continue to share incredible adventures, visiting the world from the seat of a bicycle. Welcome aboard The Underground Railroad. It's going to be an interesting journey. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Question: When Does 88 become 50?


June 12
Erie, PA to Hamburg, NY
50 Miles (out of 88)
Total Miles To Date ~ 1,530

Answer: When the wind blows in a cyclists face for the entire 50-miles and she no longer has the strength or desire to go on. 

For the first time, breakfast was at 6:00 (something our trio had requested on very long days) and we were outta there by 6:30. Erie has great bike paths making it fairly pleasant getting out of town. Today's terrain was rolling and beautiful - we rode through one of New York State's wine areas with Lake Erie on our shoulder most of the day. It was nice to peer over our left shoulder and see glimpses large and small of the water. We traveled through a number of small communities and passed magnificent homes, modest cottages, farms, and the aforementioned vineyards. Early on the temps were cool to the skin (high 60s) and the sky was overcast. Perfect riding. But that wind in the face. My nemesis! I know it disappoints Holly, and I feel less than happy about it myself. However, when I am in the midst of all of it I holler "uncle" and want out of the moment. 


Vineyard overlooking Lake Erie

Half of us were at the 20-mile SAG stop and the New York State Line was only a mile up the road. Frankie suggested a group shot - and we got one over and over again. There are two professional photographers who have been traveling with us since yesterday and they did the honors - 16 times over - shooting the group with each of our cameras. 



We are in the outskirts of Buffalo. Tomorrow we are headed across the border - passports at the ready. I have not been to Niagara Falls since age 12. It frightened me then. Wonder what my reaction will be now that I'm all grown up. Check in tomorrow to get the answer to that question.

Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu and Holly

No comments:

Underground Railroad Passengers ~ All Aboard