Long-distance cycling was never a dream. In fact, there was never even the germ of a thought about getting on a bicycle to cross the continent. Death - my husband's - put these wheels in motion. Ten years after Holly and I cycled from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we continue to share incredible adventures, visiting the world from the seat of a bicycle. Welcome aboard The Underground Railroad. It's going to be an interesting journey. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Good and Lousy All At The Same Time


Bottom to top ~ Mary, Beverly, and Holly

June 7
Mt. Vernon to Oberlin
0 Miles (Holly and Mary rode 68)
Total Miles to Date ~ Same as yesterday :-]

Woke up feeling unwell - nauseous, as if I was coming down with the flu (but not). When I went down to breakfast and just the sight of food made me ill, I made the decision to SAG. I think it was a good decision and a lousy decision all at the same time. Good because what's the point of being out on the road and feeling unwell? Lousy because SAGing means one is off the bike and in the van. Such a difference for many reasons. Still the "good" outweighed  the "lousy", it was the right choice, and I am feeling better now. So, while Michelle went shopping I slept, after taking a couple of Tylenol, and then we got on the road. More than likely all of this was because of yesterday's heat. A couple of the women did not feel well last night (ah, but they rode today). I am sure I hydrated and ate enough, but who can figure the human body's reaction to different situations? 

The roads were typical country - narrow and, for the most part, filled with potholes, rough spots, and gravel. We went through amish areas where there were wagon ruts in the road. Most of the day was climbing - and most of the women rode all of the miles. Some, including Mary and Holly, sagged a few miles in the middle in order to end the day on their bikes. In fact, Holly and Mary met a couple from the local Visitors' Bureau that took them into town via a bike path (adding 4-miles to the day). 



We are in Oberlin for a rest day. Cute college town, founded in 1833, with a lot of history. Tonight a speaker is coming by to tell us some of the history of the Underground Railway in Oberlin. Holly and Mary met a nice couple while they were on the home stretch and got a lot of information about places to see and where we can go for food and snacks.

I will post some photos later. I may not have ridden, but I still need a shower. 

Thanks for dropping by. TWJ  

No comments:

Underground Railroad Passengers ~ All Aboard