Long-distance cycling was never a dream. In fact, there was never even the germ of a thought about getting on a bicycle to cross the continent. Death - my husband's - put these wheels in motion. Ten years after Holly and I cycled from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we continue to share incredible adventures, visiting the world from the seat of a bicycle. Welcome aboard The Underground Railroad. It's going to be an interesting journey. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Home Again

There is so much more to write about the last two days of our adventure - and I shall do so. However, before that happens, there is laundry to be washed (or burned), grocery shopping, errands, appointments, 5-weeks worth of mail to sort through, and finding my way back into the real world - the most difficult part, re-entry.

My folks picked me up at the airport, after which we headed to Lester's Diner for a Father's Day dinner - my sister, Barb, her husband, Danny, and son, Lucas met us. It was nice to be with all of them - and how fortunate am I at age 65 to be able to celebrate Father's Day with my Dad? Home by 8:00 and asleep within minutes.

Monday was a lost day. After running out to the library and grocery store I came home to sleep away the entire afternoon - waking up around 6:00. Interestingly, while we are on the road, waking up anywhere between 4:15 and 4:45, and getting on our bicycles to ride through the day, other than the exhaustion that comes with the ride, our bodies don't seem to realize they are being drained of strength. We are all like the Energizer bunny (some of us stronger and more energized than others) pushing through each day and doing what we are doing because we love it or are crazy (or a combination of both). Take away our bikes and take us off the road, and our bodies begin to find a new level. It is a process - and I am in the midst.

So, speaking of appointments - time to get ready for my 9:30. Will write again in the next couple of days. You must hear about the last two days. They were INCREDIBLE!

Please check back. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

No comments:

Underground Railroad Passengers ~ All Aboard