Long-distance cycling was never a dream. In fact, there was never even the germ of a thought about getting on a bicycle to cross the continent. Death - my husband's - put these wheels in motion. Ten years after Holly and I cycled from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we continue to share incredible adventures, visiting the world from the seat of a bicycle. Welcome aboard The Underground Railroad. It's going to be an interesting journey. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

Friday, June 6, 2008

110 In The Shade


6:00 Shadow

June 6
Dublin to Mt. Vernon, OH
61 Miles (out of 75)
Total Miles To Date ~ 1,353

OK, not really that hot - but it felt that way. Because of the length of the day - 75 miles - and the heat and humidity, we were out of the motel around 6:30. The winds were favorable, but not friendly and I struggled most of the day. Perhaps it was not the elements alone, but perhaps my body has chosen today for a mini-break down. We came upon Bo-Peep for the third time at 61-miles where Mary and I threw in the proverbial towel - bringing Holly along for the ride (something she does not like to do - quit). 


Church at 61-miles

Near mile 35 we heard what sounded like a BB gun shot. It was my rear tire - which even sent some "shrapnel" at my legs. A rear tire! We hate flats, and we ESPECIALLY hate flats on rear tires. There was a large hole in the tire with pieces of tread coming out of it. The tube had a puncture that was not worth repairing, and I tossed it when we got to our motel. 

A step back in time right now. While pumping my tires at our motel in Eutaw, I broke the stem on the rear tube. After everything was put back together on the rim, I could not get the wheel back on the bike. Marilyn! She knows everything about bikes (see my flat on the Mississippi River Ride). I asked her to coach me through the process - and she did. First, and most important, turn the bike upside down. Turns out that makes it easier getting the chain back on the cassette. Another "Marilyn" is that when she fixed my flat on the 2007 ride, she used a product from Park, an adhesive backed boot, that is not easy to find. In one of the many bike shops we visited on this ride I found a package. What a blessing! Total time to change the flat - 20-minutes according to Holly. Thanks again, Marilyn. You may not be here in body, but in spirit you continue to help me along the way.

Leslie catching a rest before continuing on

We are in Mt. Vernon - and have yet to see anything outside of our room. We are hot and beat. Ah, tomorrow - only 84-miles to Oberlin and our last rest day of this adventure. We arrive in Canada one week from today.

Thanks for visiting. Talk to you soon. TWJ and Holly :-]


No comments:

Underground Railroad Passengers ~ All Aboard