Long-distance cycling was never a dream. In fact, there was never even the germ of a thought about getting on a bicycle to cross the continent. Death - my husband's - put these wheels in motion. Ten years after Holly and I cycled from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we continue to share incredible adventures, visiting the world from the seat of a bicycle. Welcome aboard The Underground Railroad. It's going to be an interesting journey. Judi a/k/a TheWanderingJu

Thursday, June 5, 2008

What A Difference A Day Makes



June 5
Xenia to Dublin, OH
69 Miles
Total Miles to Date ~ 1,292

Clear blue sky streaked by a few wisps of white. The promise of hot and humid temps that did not come to fruition before we finished the day. So different than yesterday's beginning.

Today’s start was late - breakfast not until 7:30 (eggs and oatmeal and all the rest) with snacks and lunch stuff being put out at 7:15. We three were the first ones out and stayed up there most of the day. There was a museum 6 miles from Xenia that opened at 9:00 and many of the women were going to stop there. Our plan was to beat the heat and enjoy the cooler temps of the early part of the day. We met up with BoPeep near mile 20 and never saw her again. Mary dropped off at mile 37 to wait for the van and SAG in to the hotel. I think she would have enjoyed the rest of the day - I know it - but she was anticipating heat that would have made the riding much more difficult than it turned out to be.

We had a wonderful southerly breeze that pushed us along most of the morning. Our terrain as mostly flat with some rollers and a few minimal climbs. Around 45 or 50 miles, after failing to find a town to stop in, we chose a shady spot on some freshly mown grass - directly along the road - sat down and had a relaxing lunch of PBJ, water, and whatever else we could find in our packs. By early afternoon (we arrived in Dublin at 2:00) the winds had shifted more westerly and pushed at us, trying to hold us back as we rode along. Looking from our motel window I can see that the breeze has picked up and may be making the riding that much more difficult for any of the women still on the road. I’m happy we are here. 

FLORA AND FAUNA UPDATE:

Yesterday it was squirrels. One brave soul jumped right at my bike and miraculously did not take me down or end up as squirrel stew. 
Today a weasel carrying a dead mouse in its mouth (dinner for the kids?) ran directly in front of Holly while we were on a Rail Trail.
Rabbits.
A few dogs that required whistle therapy.
Beautiful flowers and different trees than in the south.
Flooded fields of corn and soybeans - we hope the will dry out enough to be saved. It was sad to see all of the damage from the storms.
High water and fast running rivers and creeks. 
Horses - many with foals.
Many types of cattle.
A doe in one of the many fields of newly planted corn.

Not much longer and we will be at the end of our adventure. Seems difficult to believe we have pushed ourselves along for so many miles under our own power - one revolution at a time. When I go home it will be time for me to get back to work on a project that began as a casual remark - "Perhaps I will write a book about it." ~ "It" being my 1998 cross country bicycle journey. I promised myself more than ten years ago and I know I have the talent. These are two very good reasons to get back to writing. Even if I am never published, I want to complete yet another journey - putting words and thoughts to paper and telling myself, "This is good."

Thanks for coming along on the ride. Talk to you tomorrow. Judi :-]

No comments:

Underground Railroad Passengers ~ All Aboard